[pmwiki-users] place of the cookbook links

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Jun 9 17:09:18 CDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 08:52:13PM +0200, Petko Yotov wrote:
> On Saturday 09 June 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 05:52:40PM +0200, jdd wrote:
> > > May be I didn't read enough, but I din't remember having seeing where
> > > is the prefered place to include the cookbook links in config.php.
> > >
> > > When one open a file with an editor, most of the time the pointer is
> > > set at the beginneing of the file, so this beginners first go is to
> > > write them here.
> > >
> > > I think most normal people think to place them after the first
> > > (<?php...) line.
> > >
> > > But is it better to write them here or at the end of the file?
> >
> > It depends on the recipe.  Recipes that alter passwords or page
> > security (e.g., userauth.php or userauth2.php) really need to
> > go at the top of config.php.  Other recipes make more sense at
> > the bottom of config.php, and still others it makes no difference.
>
> Patrick, I happen to disagree. There are problems with the
> recipe orders. This is my advice for config.php, based on a lot
> of experience:
>
> 1. If there is a Per-Group Sub-directory setting, or a similar PageStore
> mechanism, it must to be set before most other scripts or recipes, especially
> before authuser.php.

Correct.  I really meant to say "near the top" of config.php, as
opposed to "at the top".

> 2. UTF-8, (include(scripts/xlpage-utf-8.php);) must be set before any call to
> ResolvePageName(), which may be called by some recipe. Or else, for other
> languages than English (accented characters, other alphabets) it happens that
> PmWiki does not see the files.

Correct again.  Anything that affects the way pages are located
needs to occur even earlier than authuser.php.

> 3. Internationalisations (calls to XLPage()) must come *after* UTF-8 was set.
> Even if the xl-page contains the utf-8 locale.

This shouldn't be the case -- if the XLPage contains the utf-8 locale
then it shouldn't be necessary to load scripts/xlpage-utf-8.php as
a separate step.

> 4. Then, any other *core script* or recipe, and probably authuser.php,
> userauth2.php before all other.
>
> I have added these notes at [1], [2] and [3] because it took me an enormous
> amount of time and headaches to discover how to fix it.

I've been thinking that we need a page that summarizes the preferred
order of initialization for all recipes and settings, instead of
having it spread across multiple pages.