[pmwiki-users] Report on Various Skins.

Stirling Westrup sti at pooq.com
Tue Jun 5 14:47:33 CDT 2007

Since I need to create a couple of new PmWiki sites with particular looks, I
was browsing through the list of all current PmWiki skins, and a number of the
skin pages don't display in their own skins.

I gather that PM has to do something to enable them, so I'm making a list here
of the ones that seem to need enabling.

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/BarthelmeSkin
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/BlueBerrySkin
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/NewsPaperSkin
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PmWiki2Bars
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SimplaSkin
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SimpleTabSkin
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SinorcaSkin
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MarathonSkin
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/NotebookSkin
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Notebook2Skin (may not be safe to enable!)
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SchlaeferTwoSkin

Since I wanted to find out what these looked like, I've downloaded all of the
above and tried them out on my farm. They all sort-of work (at least under
firefox) with the following exceptions that someone might want to look into:

A) For SimpleTabSkin, I had to change $PubDirUrl in the .tmpl file to
$FarmPubDirUrl to make it work in my farm. It should actually be using
$SkinDirUrl instead, so it would work anywhere.

B) For PmWiki2Bars I was surprised that it expects to be unzipped in the main
pmwiki directory, while most skins expect to be unzipped in the pub/skins
directory.

C) MarathonSkin expects to find a Main.TopNav and a Main.SideBar page which
don't exist. The Main.SideBar should be changed to Site.SideBar, and a
Site.TopNav should be supplied via a local wikilib.d file.

D) The Notebook2skin has a message on its page about a javascript injection
bug. I haven't determined if its been fixed or not.

E) The SchlaeferTwoSkin contains some extraneous Mac OSX files in its zip
archive, and its old enough to use Main everywhere instead of Site.

Most of the above fixes would be easy enough for me to make (except that I
don't know javascript, so I can't debug it), but I don't want to step on any
toes. Does anyone know which of the above skins have been abandoned by their
creators?