[pmwiki-users] Flexible $DiffKeepDays [was: Urgent -- Memory size exausted - line 660]

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Mon Jun 4 03:16:01 CDT 2007

> > Patrick:
> > I'm not so sure it would make much of a difference.

> Kathryn:
> Because he doesn't want to lose the history for pages
> that have *not*changed a lot.  If one has a blanket "$DiffKeepDays"
> value, say if one had a $DiffKeepDays value of 50, then a page that
> was last changed two months ago would lose all of its history.
> The problem is that there appears to be a mixture of some pages
> that are changing a lot, and other pages that aren't.
> Thus, what is wanted is some way of "trimming" the history only
> when the history becomes unmanageable, and keeping it otherwise.

Indeed!
Sorry Patrick, I could not use my email for a couple of days, and
could not answer to you question till now.
And thank you, Kathryn, for you could properly answer for me, in such
a clear way that would have been hard for me, with my own words.

> Patrick:
> A question, though...  once the history exceeds the target size,
> should we apply $DiffKeepDays on the entire history ... possibly
> eliminating it entirely if the entire history is older than
> $DiffKeepDays, or should we only remove the portion of the
> history (that is older than $DiffKeepDays) needed to reach
> the target size?

Slightly puzzled, myself.
I would opt for the **first**, anyway.

----

Just to add some extra information for your use/diagnose, Patrick, my
experience was that, once the history had become too long, there was
no way to see it entirely with the action=diff command.
The server produced just some history, and then silently dropped the
rest, with no error shown.
I had no  $DiffKeepDays settings, yet. So I expected to see all the
history: no way.
If ever this was due to a server timeout and/or a memory issue, I had
no explicit error, anyway.
(...till last week, when I opened this thread...)

Luigi