[pmwiki-users] Flexible $DiffKeepDays [was: Urgent -- Memory size exausted - line 660]

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jun 1 20:37:03 CDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 11:19:27AM +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 12:40:30PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > I'm not so sure it would make much of a difference.  What did you have
> > $DiffKeepDays set to before the file "exploded"?  What would be the
> > benefit of
> >    "if any file grows beyond a certain size, apply $DiffKeepDays=180"
> > versus simply
> >    "apply $DiffKeepDays=180"
>
> Because he doesn't want to lose the history for pages that have *not*
> changed a lot.  If one has a blanket "$DiffKeepDays" value, say if one
> had a $DiffKeepDays value of 50, then a page that was last changed two
> months ago would lose all of its history.

Thank you, this illustrates the difference nicely.

I'll see if I can add this feature in 2.2.0-beta.  A question,
though...  once the history exceeds the target size, should we apply
$DiffKeepDays on the entire history ... possibly eliminating it entirely
if the entire history is older than $DiffKeepDays, or should we
only remove the portion of the history (that is older than $DiffKeepDays)
needed to reach the target size?