[pmwiki-users] Notify: Who watches the watchers?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jan 15 19:27:58 CST 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 12:28:19AM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm migration to the notify script from mailform.
> 	http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Notify
>
> What's the recommended way to keep a close look on Site.NotifyList?
> (Yes, it's password protected, but that's not enough in my mind)
>
> If I add a separate statement to that page:
>
> 	notify=christian at home.com  name=Site.NotifyList
>
> that'll email me when the page is modified. However, if some thugh removes
> that line, I won't be told that it has been removed, nor told of any
> future changes to that page...
>
> One solution I thought of was to create a second page,
> 	Site.AdminNotifyList
> which is also used by the notify script when checking who to notify.
> Then I could have a different password for that page, and at least feel
> a little safer.

1.  Notify can be directly from local/config.php (and thus would be
    safe from thugs):

    $NotifyList[] = 'notify=christian at home.com name=Site.NotifyList';

2.  I could modify $NotifyListPageFmt (the variable that identifies
    the page to be read) to accept an array of pages as well as a
    single page.  Then an administrator could configure as many
    notify pages as desired.

But for something like this, I think configuring via local/config.php
is easiest/safest.