[pmwiki-users] Link to description of PmWiki on Wikimatrix.org?

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 14:55:50 CST 2007

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 04:12:07AM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>>
>> Could you please start over and tell me what the *purpose* of this markup?
>>
>> I have no idea what you think I suggested... (or even if I did suggest
>> something)
>
> My apologies.  I thought that you were saying that other
> wikis had a specialized markup that would create a heading
> and an anchor (in a single markup).

No worries - I figured that out eventually (after I sent my last post of
course).

> I later figured out that you were saying that on wikimatrix.org some of
> the other wiki records demonstrated how one could create an anchor in
> the markup (not that they had a specialized heading+anchor markup).

Correct.

> I agree it would be good to demonstrate how one creates an anchor in
> PmWiki... but wikimatrix doesn't have a field for it.

Do you have permissions to add stuff like that? (I'm guessing not...)

Other than that, it seems that posting a suggestion in the forum is the
way to go. Here's a thread which discussed that:
 	http://www.wikimatrix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11
So I guess suggestions should be sent here:
 	http://www.wikimatrix.org/forum/viewforum.php?id=3

>  Could you point me to the record that demonstrated it in another wiki?

See
 	http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/PmWiki+TracWiki
or simply the markup comparison for headlines
 	http://www.wikimatrix.org/syntax.php?i=115
the relevant line looks like:
 	=== Explicit id === #using-explicit-id-in-heading

However, as I checked now that was the only wiki that demonstrated how to
give a specific anchor to a headline.

Btw. One of the other wikis also demonstrated how to set the title. I
guess that could be considered a headline as well, so maybe add that?

> I also think it might be worthwhile to consider a markup that creates an
> anchor from free text... but I'm not sure what such a markup would be at
> this point.  My latest idea was [[## free text ]]

I think philosophy #3 applies...

Note that I think [[##]] and [[##anchor]] are used by some recipe for a
visible anchor. (I could be wrong though)

In addition, no markup will fix the fact that anchors can't do all the
characters we'd like. How would you create the anchor from this:

 	!! [[## Oj så många roliga saker!]]

I guess you could strip it into 'Ojsmngaroligasaker', but the anchor isn't
readable then. If we did this, then links would have to apply the same
stripping function, i.e.
 	[[page#Oj så många roliga saker]]

And we have to watch out for duplicate anchors, i.e.

Basically I don't think it's worth it.

/Christian