[pmwiki-users] possible bug in notify.php

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Sat Feb 3 22:23:18 CST 2007

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 05:32:18PM -0500, Neil Herber (nospam) wrote:
>> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>>> What was/is the setting of $NotifyFrom ?
>>>
>> $NotifyFrom = 'x-wiki at eton.ca';
>>
>> Changing this made no difference, but changing the notify.php line did.
>> I suspect it is some oddity in PHP 5 versus 4.
>
> You may be correct.  According to the examples in the PHP
> documentation for the mail() function [1], having the space
> after "From:" is correct.  It also looks as though PHP parses
> the headers before passing it off to the MTA, so you may be
> right that your version of PHP is the culprit.
>
> [1] http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php
>
> What version of PHP 5 is the system using?  Also, is this on
> a Windows or Unix server?

Windoze 2K Advanced Server, all latest hotfixes, Apache 2.2.3, and (much
to my surprise) PHP 4.4.4 !! I was sure this had been upgraded to 5. The
previous version was 4.1 I believe. If it is important, I can find out
for sure by looking at the pre-switch server image.

The MTA is reporting the address as illegal because it contains a
(leading) space. In the logs it shows the address in angle-bracket
notation. I don't know where the brackets are applied or whether they
just appear in the logs.

The strange thing is that changing the notify.php script cured it.

Is there an easy way to get notify to emit what it is sending the mail
server in a human readable form? To a file, for example?

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/