[pmwiki-users] New Hierarchical Groups Recipe...

The Editor editor at fast.st
Thu Feb 1 18:44:49 CST 2007

On 2/1/07, Neil Herber (nospam) <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:
> I have not followed Hg (mercury) very closely, but would it be more
> accurate to call it a "page clustering" mechanism?
>
> The page clusters reside within a group and they can have sub-clusters.

Maybe, but what it does is make settings in one group inheritable in a
daughter group.  That's about it.

> Clustering level is indicated by hyphens in the page names. For example,
> Animals/Canine-Small-Black indicates an Animals group with a Canine page
> cluster. Within the Canine page cluster is a Small sub-cluster. Within
> the Canine-Small sub-cluster is a page about (presumably) black dogs.

Actually it doesn't work this way.  Rather, Animals-Canine-Small/Black
means ~roughly~ settings in group Animals are available in group
Animals-Canine and then Animals-Canine-Small, unless overwritten by
settings in a lower group.  Hyphens in page names has no significant
effect...

> Does this help clarify things or just muddy the waters??

Since Hg works on groups, and makes their properties hierarchical, and
doesn't really do anything for specific pages--descriping what Hg does
as clustering "pages" does not strike me as the best way to clarify
what Hg is doing...  Just my 2 cents...

Cheers,
Dan