[pmwiki-users] New Hierarchical Groups Recipe...

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Thu Feb 1 18:28:04 CST 2007

On 2007-02-01 The Editor is rumoured to have said:
> > The recipe page also makes the claim:
> > >
> > >    This recipe adds hierarchical groups functionality to
> > >    your website. The following items are included: group headers,
> > >    group footers, group sidebars, group attributes, config files,
> > >    styles sheets.  They basically work in the way, and in the
> > >    order you would expect, including all default settings.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure that I agree that it works as most people expect.
> > > If I'm wrong in this, I'd love to have people re-clarify their
> > > expectations and contrast them with what's in the existing
> > > PmWiki.HierarchicalGroups pages, because I think it's a feature
> > > that many people want.
>
> What I meant to say in these line is that things like groupheaders,
> footers, sidebars, etc work about like you expect.  Attributes go
> through the normal cascade.  Config files work as usual (farm, field,
> page, group), css (skin, local, group, page)--with the exception that
> the groups in each are hierarchical of course.  If one of these things
> is not in the order most would expect or like, I will be happy to
> change it...
>
> On this other hand, if this is misleading in that people will read it
> and assume it creates Hierarchical Pages as Pm expressed concern about
> above, it should be rewritten.  Hg does not create hierarchical pages
> as most people expect, admittedly.  Perhaps someone can suggest a way
> to rewrite this paragraph to say more accurately what it was intended
> to say without leading people to read more into it than was meant.
> Help sincerely welcome!

I have not followed Hg (mercury) very closely, but would it be more
accurate to call it a "page clustering" mechanism?

The page clusters reside within a group and they can have sub-clusters.

Clustering level is indicated by hyphens in the page names. For example,
Animals/Canine-Small-Black indicates an Animals group with a Canine page
cluster. Within the Canine page cluster is a Small sub-cluster. Within
the Canine-Small sub-cluster is a page about (presumably) black dogs.

Does this help clarify things or just muddy the waters??

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/