[pmwiki-users] Page lists separated by topic (category)

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 17:00:26 CDT 2007

A user (Jose', a LyX developer actually) asked me for a method that lets
a wiki page automatically list pages in a group accoring to topic (or
category really). The result might look like this:

 	WindowsInstaller
 		NSIS-Options
 		UwesInstalle

 	Release14
 		ImportantBugs14
 		ReleaseNotes14
 		ReleaseProcedure

 	Release15
 		ImportantBugs15
 		ReleaseNotes15
 		ReleaseProcedure

 	Other pages...
 		SomePage

What Jose' wants is a way to say that a page is related to e.g. the
Windows installer, and have that page listed under that
section/topic/category. This could of course be done by manually creating
the list as a trail, but that's not very appealing (especially to a
developer ;-).

I asked Jose' if a page could belong to more than one
section/topic/category, and he agreed (albeit a bit relucantly).

Anyway, to be quick about it, I implemented something here:
 	http://wiki.lyx.org/Test/PagelistUsingCategories

The solution uses several manually created pagelists for pages belonging
to the different categories. Here is an example of one of the pagelist
commands:

 	!!! Windows installer
 	(:pagelist group=Devel link=Category.WindowsInstaller :)

However, this solution has a few drawbacks, with which I hope you can help
me:

* I have to manually specify and type quite a bit for each category.
   Perhaps a custom markup is useful here.

** It'd be nice if the resulting pagelist could automatically be
    headed by a description that's extracted from the category page.

** It'd be nice if it could be done automatically for all the categories,
    so that you don't have to specify each category manually.

* How do you list the pages that have not been listed so far?
   This can be pages that either don't belong to any category, or
   that belong to a category that was forgotten.

I know I've brought up similar issues regarding pagelists before, so I'm
hoping there's been some progress :-)

Best regards
/Christian