[pmwiki-users] Markup for linking to page with a "unique" identifier

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 16:27:16 CDT 2007

A user (actually Jose', a LyX developer) asked me about renaming pages and
automatically having links to the renamed page working. He suggested that
pages should have some ID (or label) that you could refer to rather than
linking to the name of the page.

I replied that this is already possible by using (:pagelist ...:). It can
be done as follows:

* Insert a marker/label/tag on the destination page. It could e.g. be as
   follows:
 	(:comment tag_some-id :)

* To link to that page, use something like:
 	(:pagelist "tag_some-id" fmt=#... :)

As long as the "tag" stays on the page, the pagelist markup will find it
even if the page is renamed. In theory this seems nice, but are there some
drawbacks here?

* Perfomance?  What happens if something like is used extensively?

* Uniqueness of id:s?   Maybe a mechanism is needed to help keep the id:s
   unique?

* Maybe a simpler/clearer markup would be useful?

Thoughts?

Best regards,
Chrstian