[pmwiki-users] RSS feeds: description tag as "content", and auto-discovery

the Other michael xraysmalevich at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 09:39:01 CDT 2007

2-item grab-bag:

1) Description as content:

I've added a note at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WebFeeds#AddDescriptionSummary

Q: How to add "description" to the title in an rss feed, and summary
to the body?

A: Add these lines to your local/config.php

$FeedFmt['rss']['item']['title'] = '{$Group} / {$Title} : {$Description}';
$FeedFmt['rss']['item']['description'] = '$LastModifiedSummary';

NOTES:
**you need to replicate these lines for each type (eg, atom, rdf, dc)
of feed you provide.
**the Rss description-tag is not equivalent to the pmWiki $Descriptio-
variable, despite the confusing similarity.

--

Is this an proper use of the description tag? I note that the
"MarkupExcerpt" example also populates the description tag.

----

2) I'm not getting auto-discovery of feeds working -- at least not
with Bloglines.

My feed is as follows:

http://www.xradiograph.com/wrottings/&action=rss?group=-pmwiki,-site,-main,-contributions,-profiles,-Category?name=-RecentChanges,-Template,-GroupHeader,-GroupFooter

I currently subscribe to this via Bloglines -- but I entered it as the feed.

The auto-discovery recipe at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/RSSFeedLink is set up as

$HTMLHeaderFmt['rss'] =
     "<link rel='alternate' title='\$WikiTitle RSS'
href='\$ScriptUrl/&action=rss?group=-pmwiki,-site,-main,-contributions,-profiles,-Category?name=-RecentChanges,-Template,-GroupHeader,-GroupFooter'
       type='text/xml' />";

And generates

<link rel='alternate' title='wrottings RSS'
   href='http://www.xradiograph.com/wrottings/&action=rss?group=-pmwiki,-site,-main,-contributions,-profiles,-Category?name=-RecentChanges,-Template,-GroupHeader,-GroupFooter'
       type='text/xml' />

the href-tag contains the exact same content as my working
subscription, but bloglines, at least, claims there is no feed --
auto-discovery is failing.

Any advice?

-the Other michael
http://www.xradiograph.com/interference