[pmwiki-users] MarkupExpressionsExtensions

The Editor editor at fast.st
Thu Apr 19 14:52:21 CDT 2007

On 4/19/07, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> > >The phrase "store pagelists in PTV's" doesn't quite make sense
> > >to me.  Exactly what text do you want the page text variable to
> > >contain?
> >
> > [...] The text var then suddenly becomes the
> > desired pagelist as soon as they hit the submit button:
> >
> > (:MyPageList: {(wiki pagelist group=Snippets Test fmt=#Titles)}:)
>
> These two items don't match.  The first statement says to
> me that $:MyPageList becomes a list of page titles ("the desired
> pagelist" at the time the 'save' button is hit.
>
> But the markup line says that $:MyPageList contains the
> value "{(wiki pagelist group=Snippets Test fmt=#Titles)}", which
> gets converted into a pagelist at the time that $:MyPageList
> is displayed.
>
> Which is it?

Not sure I see the difference, but the second I guess. Because of the
order of processing, $:MyPageList becomes {(wiki pagelist...)}, and
then that becomes (:pagelist ...:) and then that becomes the list of
titles.

Before I switched over to your Markup Expression recipe, I had a
working demo that illustrated it nicely.  As soon as I get the new
version refactored I'll put it back up.

One sample application is a search member page where various criteria
can be selected from pull down menus based on the same input options
given when they register.  A person selects the criteria they want and
all matching members pop up on their screen.  Very cool.

Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm still thinking a
whole ZAP form could easily be stored on a template page for example,
and inserted by something as simple as {Site.ZAPTemplates$:login}

At this point, my only concern with the pagelist command is to resolve
the (potential?) problems you referred to in an earlier post about
links being off and there being possible timeouts on page saves. Maybe
it won't be a problem if within a text var. On the functional side I
am confident it will work as soon as I get the extension recipe
updated.

Cheers,
Dan