[pmwiki-users] read access password question

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 7 15:01:17 CDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 05:22:37PM +0100, Hans wrote:

> A further test reveals this:
> Having a general read password set in config.php will result in the
> behaviour i am observing, i.e. no groups showing at all in the
> pagelist when logged in with a page or group read password,
> not even the current group or any othe rgroup with the same read
> password.
> Having no general read password set everything works fine.
>
> Should this be like this? It strikes me a little odd. I would need to
> set for all groups read passwords individually with GroupAttributes.

It shouldn't be like this.  Let's see if I can duplicate it on
pmwiki.org...

Okay, I've got a test system running at
http://www.pmichaud.com/sandbox/rpl/pmwiki.php , and everything seems
to be working okay.

I've set

    $DefaultPasswords['read'] = crypt('secret');
    $DefaultPasswords['admin'] = crypt('admin');

and I've set the read password on PmWiki.GroupAttributes to 'pmwiki';

When someone first encounters the Main.HomePage, they have to
enter the site read password ('secret').  This works.  Main.HomePage
has a (:pagelist:) directive on it displaying all of the pages on
the site that the visitor has read access to.  Since we haven't
entered the read password for the PmWiki group yet, those pages aren't
displayed.

Entering the 'pmwiki' password causes the PmWiki group pages to be
displayed as well as the others.

This is pretty much what I'd expect - feel free to add groups,
passwords, and/or other changes to duplicate the problem you're
seeing.

One potential thing that may be causing difficulty is that if
Site.PageListTemplates has a read password on it, either directly
or inherited from the group/site, then one cannot obtain a pagelist
using those templates until the appropriate read password has been
entered.

For example, if I log out of the test site, then jump directly
to a PmWiki page using the 'pmwiki' password, and then try to get
a pagelist of some sort, it might not work because I haven't
been authorized to view the contents of Site.PageListTemplate using
the site's read password.

Hope we can track this one down...