[pmwiki-users] Is it time for a pmwiki-devel list?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Oct 27 16:45:07 CDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 04:23:49PM -0400, Donald Z. Osborn wrote:
>    A more important point, perhaps, is that a single list keeps the tone of
>    discussion both high and rooted.

I totally agree that having a single list has highly beneficial to the
community, as this exposes non-technical users to the technical discussions
(and has raised the overall community standard).  I'm hoping that most
people will subscribe to both.

>    Not sure what happens when some of the
>    more technically motivated members start spending more time on the "devel"
>    list and everyone else with daytoday user issues are on the old list. The
>    mix changes, and not just the mix of the messages. Does the quality go
>    down on the "users" list?

I'm (perhaps naively) hoping that we don't see a drop in quality on
the main list.  I will continue to be active on both, and I still expect
the bulk of discussion and commentary to take place on pmwiki-users.
Most of my new threads/posts will continue to go to the -users list,
unless I'm specifically looking for feedback on core implementation details.

>    And then what about crossposting - something of a disincentive for people
>    to be on both lists. Does it end up in a kind of segregation?

I'm planning to highly discourage cross-posting between the two lists.
For any given thread original posters should pick one list or the other
without fear of reprisal.  If there's doubt as to which list to choose,
I'd favor postings to pmwiki-users over pmwiki-devel.

And, of course, if having two lists ends up being too segregated or
otherwise losing something of value to the community, we can always
discontinue pmwiki-devel and just go back to having a single pmwiki-users
list.

Thanks for the excellent comments!