[pmwiki-users] Is it time for a pmwiki-devel list?

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Fri Oct 27 13:18:29 CDT 2006

On Oct 27, 2006, at 12:50 PM, Neil Herber (nospam) wrote:

> Having a -users and a -devel list would be a big help. I would
> subscribe
> to both and I would always read -users, but I might save -devel posts
> for a rainy day. ;-)

And I could do the other way around.  I find myself looking for devel
posts, because I'm in a development cycle and need to know the
absolute bleeding edge of PmWiki right now -- and find myself doing
the more altruistic posts answering basic questions in moments when I
shouldn't be allowing myself to be distracted.  I could constantly
comb -devel and read or answer -users posts over a relaxing cup of
tea while eating my morning bagel. ;)  I'm always afraid that the
high volume will make someone slip through the cracks, even in my own
pmwiki in-box (it's had its own inbox since forever), so I answer any
posts that I see no one has answered to the best of my ability, on
the theory that SOMEONE trying to answer, even if the answer stinks,
is better than crickets and silence.

> A side note: I have been traveling a lot lately, and I had to
> install a
> mail filter to move pmwiki-users posts into a separate folder so
> that my
> web mail in box was not swamped. It was getting difficult to see the
> non-pmwiki emails.

I have any post with "Criss" or "Crisses" stay in my normal in-box,
and all other listmail goes to the pmwiki folder.  So if I'm NOT in
developer mode, and I'm doing graphic design work, in the middle of
moving homes, etc. and totally ignoring that pmwiki even exists (I do
that, believe it or not), if someone said "There's a problem with
Blocklist3"  "That's maintained by Crisses -- have you tried
contacting her?"  Poof!  I'd suddenly be on the scene.

I run about a dozen lists that reached maturity and self-moderate,
and that's how I deal with them also.

I've been known to come around after several months and search my
pmwiki box for any occurrance of "blocklist" etc. and check whether I
missed anything important, or spot read through 3000 posts.

Crisses