[pmwiki-users] Spam, delete, and actions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Oct 16 11:30:51 CDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 10:38:59PM +1300, Simon wrote:
> I am having several spam issues that are difficult to deal with with the existing blocklist.
>
> These are
> * the 'polite' spammer who replaces a page with "good job" or similar.
> * pages being deleted
> * pages being replaced by spaces
> * pages being replaced or having nonsense strings added, eg "fgdhfgs kfgjit bxcgsfa"
> * creating pages with different case, or changing recent changes pages
>
> It seems to me it would be helpful if
> * the delete method of removing a page could be disabled, and action=delete provided which
> could then be password protected

You can change $DeleteKeyPattern:

    $DeleteKeyPattern = '/^\\s*myspecialdeletekey\\s*$/';

> * i could prevent or password protect replacing the page with spaces

If you're using the blocklist features in 2.2.0-beta, then this
can be done with:

    block: /^\s*$/

> * replacing an entire page with different content could be prevented or password protected

How would PmWiki determine that an entire page is being replaced?
Do we simply say that the new page has to have at least one line in
common with the old one, or...?

> * blocking authors on the blocklist page (rather than in config.php)

We could add this feature, but since authors are generally free to
choose any author name I'm not sure this would be that helpful.

> is there a means of recovering pages that are delted (perhaps with
> password protection) from the wiki rather than having to rename
> in the filesystem?

There's not a built-in mechanism to do it, but a recipe could be
written for it.