[pmwiki-users] RFC- Database access via cookbook - agnostic? Re: SelectQuery development: database records as pages?

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Sun Oct 1 06:09:15 CDT 2006

Crisses said...

> On Sep 29, 2006, at 8:42 PM, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
>
> > But having something that can act as an easy portal to a database
> > (even
> > better if it is database-agnostic, since I tend to use SQLite rather
> > than MySQL for website databases) that could use the power of the
> > database for selecting and sorting, but the convenience of pagelist
> > templates for formatting its records, that would be great!
>
> Ben Wilson and I have discussed (and agreed on the benefits of) using
> ADODB for creating a database-agnostic version of AuthUserDbase that
> includes options for the features I added to create self-sign-up,
> email validation, etc.

Good call, imo. I was looking at your xes_authuser_dbase.php earlier,
and started converting it to use ADODB and phpmailer. (One reason for
the conversion is to ensure that the db is only opened once, as I have
other recipes using the db.)

> As long as we can all agree on one call to include ADODB it should
> all be good ;)  And that would allow you to use SQLite instead of
> mysql/postgresql, etc. since that's one of the databases that ADODB
> supports.

This, of course, is another compelling reason :-)

> Does anyone object to the use of a tool like ADODB for some recipes?
> 1) same license as PmWiki 2) 2.7 MB installed (currently)

If you strip out all the tat, then it's far smaller. A MySQL-only
install is only 200kb. And the database "drivers" are tiny, so adding
additional ones as needed takes very little extra space.

> So essentially I'm asking cookbook authors if we can all agree on one
> database abstraction layer for PmWiki -- for use when we're going to
> deal with external databases.  It would be quite helpful if we all
> agreed, and greatly extend the cookbook's support for a variety of
> data sources.

You have my vote.

--
Best,