[pmwiki-users] Open an application from an upload

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Wed Nov 15 08:21:12 CST 2006

On Nov 15, 2006, at 7:28 AM, Nicholas Buttle wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have some CAD programs that I want to upload sample
> files of to the pmwiki.  However if you click on the
> attached file now it opens up a browser window full of
> nonsense text.
>
> How can you choose to open either the file in the
> browser (as you would want say for .jpg and open the
> application or offer the user the option of
> downloading the file?
>
> TIA
>
> Nicholas

See the post I just sent you --> you need to make the extension (say
it's .cad) have the proper mime file type.

If the cad file is not readable in a browser, the file type tells the
browser which application to open the file in.  Is it Photoshop?  Is
it to open it in AutoCAD?

Unfortunately most browsers won't be set up to recognize odd file
types AND uncommon programs.  You can make YOUR browser recognize it
and apply a certain "helper application" to open that file mime type
-- but your users won't necessarily know to do that.  So most likely
this will be a file download situation.

Crisses