[pmwiki-users] I-Frames in PmWiki?

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sat Nov 11 17:39:28 CST 2006

On 11/11/06, Neil Herber (nospam) <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:
> On 2006-11-11 The Editor is rumoured to have said:
> > I'm very open to other suggestions. I've found chat isn't too fun if
> > it doesn't refresh automatically.
>
> Why not just use a meta-refresh on the page? Depending on how long your
> chats become (and how frequently you refresh), I don't think the load
> will be that significant.
>
> If the page hasn't changed since the last refresh, it will be refilled
> from the browser cache. Any time someone posts a "chat line" they will
> get a new page anyway.
>
> Unless someone is on dialup or a mobile device it should work fine.

Wow, thanks for the quick response.  This sounds better because I
wanted it to only refresh if there has been a change.  But it still
has to be in an I-Frame or should you be typing in the chat input box
and the page refreshes, it's a no no.

But--how do I insert the meta-refresh tag in the header without using
a whole new skin?  It would be nice if a directive could be set to do
that...  My current solution involves javascript with settimeout and
window.location. Actually, I suppose it too will first check to see if
updated and then reload from cache if possible.

Saturday, November 11, 2006, 11:10:58 PM, Hans wrote:
>> 2) How do you create a link that targets a specific frame (inline or
>> otherwise)?  Or in a recipe, that normally calls HandleBrowse( ) or
>> Redirect( ).
>
> The page in an iframe is to be treated as a different page. Just use
> the standard way of linking, wiki links work fine I think.

To change the contents of an I-Frame from outside that frame, you have
to set the target.  I've just looked over the PmWiki doc's on links
and there doesn't seem to be any parameter for specifying a target
window...

Cheers,
Caveman