[pmwiki-users] ZAP chat?

The Editor editor at fast.st
Fri Nov 10 15:26:44 CST 2006

On 11/10/06, The Editor <editor at fast.st> wrote:
> On 11/10/06, Jiri Hladůvka / OBUTEX <admin at obutex.com> wrote:
> >

> > The Editor napsal(a):
> > > ...The main chatroom page can have a counter of present users and some
> > > {$lastArchivedTime}.
> > >

> > > Yes, but what about people that don't log out?
> > >
> > That is why to test {$lastArchivedTime}>1 day . Of course after cleaning
> > the counter is to be set to 1
> > Best regards,
> > Jiri
>

> [warning: bit of brainstorming ahead...]
>
> Without wanting to make this too complex, couldn't you also have a
> page set up for each user (that's chatting in a given room) storing
> the time of their last post, and then do a pagelist of all users that
> have posted within the past x minutes, to list the names of active
> chatters?  (Would require a custom but doable conditional)  And of
> course, when they log out that user page is deleted.  Wow!  Would work
> great!
>
> Also, I think rather than having daily chat logs cleaned up by user
> actions, you could have a markup (like the newsletter module) that is
> triggered by cron, maybe once every hour--that cleans up old chat
> pages (more than one hour old--and inactive user pages also!).
>
> Of course the big question is--which is best:  a single log file only,
> like my original suggestion, or a separate page for each remark, and
> then include them all by a pagelist?
>
> Pros of Single Log File--Far less file reading. No need to clean up files.
> Pros of Multiple Pages--No problem with sumulataneous chats. Easier to
> limit display to controlled time frames.  Very easy to get it to work.
> ZAP could probably do already.
>
> Then again, do we really need to retain old log files? What about just
> moving old chat remarks into an archive group and if needed, use a
> pagelist to retrieve these old records?  Perhaps a simple markup like
> (:zapchatarchives room|begintime|endtime:).  Cut and paste for
> something you want to keep.
>
> I really like the pagelist idea, but am a bit concerned about
> processing demands. Might work for some applications...  Any thoughts
> by others on the list?
>
> Cheers,
> Caveman

Hi Jiri!

Just for your info, I set up a live chat snippet using your
suggestion.  Still not sure I like the idea of creating a whole page
for every chat message, but...  it is working great.  And it was easy
to do.

Works perfect on my home system but I'm getting error messages on the
server.  Will try and figure out what going on and will probably need
to add some other markups later.  But the proof of concept thing is
here!  Check it out!

Cheers,
Caveman