[pmwiki-users] Making a domain name a wiki page

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sun May 28 14:43:18 CDT 2006

On Sun, 28 May 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 05:39:57PM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
>>> I'm presuming that we wouldn't allow dots in group names, just page
>>> names?
>>
>> I haven't thought about that, but why wouldn't we want to allow that?
>
> Consider the customization file  local/LyxRevision1.3.1.php .
>
> Is this customization file for...
>   the group named "LyxRevision1.3.1"?
>   the page named "3.1" within the "LyxRevision1" group?
>   the page named "1" within the "LyxRevision1.3" group?
>
> So, if we allow dot in group names, we have to have some useful
> separator that can be used for per-page customizations. (Yes, we could
> say that per-page customizations are placed in per-group customization
> subdirectories, but that's a bit of extra work for the administrator,
> and it may invite even more confusion between filesystem names on disk
> and url paths in the wiki.

Ok, I'm now starting understand what you meant with files in local/ and
pub/css/. But still.. aren't we looking at implementation problems before
considering wether the change (as apparent to authors) is desirable?

I'm also wondering if maybe I'm still missing something as I still don't
see this as a big problem. Here's one (ugly looking solution!).

Transcode all '.' inside a page or group name into something else, e.g.
'%2e' or '_%2e_'. So if we have a page called [[LyX/LyX 1.3.4]], it'd be
stored in the file

 	wiki.d/LyX.LyX1_%2e_3_%2e_4

which is very uggly but safe from confusion. Without doing anything
further, this means we can't have '_%2e_' within a page name.

The file local/LyxRevision1.3.1.php would, due to the absence of '_%2e_'
simply be considered the configuration of a group called LyxRevision1.3.1.

The remaining problem is then that it looks ugly to administrators that
work with local customization files. But only for files corresponding to
group or page names that contain a '.' and since we've managed without
dots in the names so far, there are at least none so far.

I'm not sure how to encode the link to a CSS file whose name in the
file system is pub/css/LyX.LyX1_%2e_3_%2e_4 ... I guess the '%' need to be
encoded once more?

Btw, to make things prettier, we could encode simply as '_._', but then we
can't allow '_._' in the name of a group or page.

/Christian