[pmwiki-users] automatic formatting -- how is this controlled?

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed May 24 14:20:01 CDT 2006

So I am observing some default behavior that I find odd, but useful.  I'm
trying to find documentation so that I know how to affect it.

1. Create a new page.
2. Copy some block of normal text into it.
3. Do no formatting and save it.

The text appears exactly as copied.  Nice.

Now, go back and add http://some.where/page.html to the text.

Suddenly anything without a line separating itself from that link gets
wrapped as normal html flow.

My questions:

1. How is this "looks unformatted" behavior determined?

2. Can we adjust this so that html links don't break that determination?

The problem I'm trying to solve is that we have hundred or thousands of
pieces of information that are stuck in various formats.  It would save us
a lot of time if we could allow people who don't know and will never learn
wiki markup to just enter text we can read well enough, and get around to
marking it up later.

For that to work, we need http://some/where to not cause the plain text
formatting to wrap, but we do want it to become a link.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek