[pmwiki-users] Wiki trails: feature/change request

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 26 11:33:34 CST 2006

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 07:04:32PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> >
> > Propose a markup and I'll supply the code.  :-)
>
> I haven't been following trail markup recently, so this may be too far
> away from standard PmWiki markup, but anyway:
>
> Extend link syntax to cover trail links. E.g. in [[text->target]] or
> [[target|text]], if 'target' is of the form
>    <<TrailPage
> PmWiki should display a link to the preceding page of the trail.
> A link to the next page could be written as
>    >>TrailPage
> or
>    TrailPage>>

Very nice.  That might work out really well.

However, somehow it breaks the existing meaning of [[...]]
markup, which basically says that whatever is in the double
brackets is what gets displayed.  Part of me expects that
[[<<TrailPage]] will display "TrailPage" and not some other target
(or text).

So, perhaps these are really page variables, and {TrailPage$Prev}
and {TrailPage$Next} are what we're really after...?  Then we
get:

    [[{TrailPage$Prev}]] &bullet; [[TrailPage]] &bullet; [[{TrailPage$Next}]]

It's not as pretty, but it's more consistent.  We also get the
ability to have

    [[{TrailPage$Prev} | {TrailPage$Prev} &bullet; ]]

which would display the bullet only if we're not on the first
page in the list.

Then it'd be nice to have some sort of markup symbol that
includes the target text as part of the link text, so that we
wouldn't have to repeat the "{TrailPage$Prev}".  But once again,
I'm not sure what that markup would be.

> 2) I'd have liked to cover a way to vary the delimiters for
> Breadcrumb-style trails, too.

We could have something like {TrailPage$Up} to get to the parent
for breadcrumb-style trails.