[pmwiki-users] Minor question regarding the definition of "Wiki farm"

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Mon Mar 20 10:54:46 CST 2006

At 2006-03-20  05:33 PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com is
rumored to have said:
>Is this a wiki farm?  Or does wiki farm actually imply the use of
>local/farmconfig.php, $FarmD etc? I have a sneaky feeling that there's
>more to a "proper" wiki farm than what I just described.

I am going into weasel-mode here.

The WikiFarms page in the docs is intended to show *only* one way of
creating a farm. The approach you are advocating is perfectly valid
and workable, but it does not conform to the suggestions on
WikiFarms. It should probably appear as a Cookbook recipe (other
approaches do) or on the WikiFarmsAdvanced page.

The WikiFarmTerminology page is intended as a "disambiguator". If you
are reading old pmwiki-user posting and you come across the wiki
"barn" (sorry to keep picking on that example) what does (or did) the
author mean? The terminology page has suggestions for terms that, if
used consistently, have a good chance of being understood.

If you follow the instructions on WikiFarms, you will see that as
soon as you have added farmconfig.php to your existing wiki and
turned it into your home wiki, you effectively have a farm with only
one wiki in it. But it seems to me to be pretty lame to call it a
farm. It's like saying "I have a collections of beer mugs" when all
you have is one mug in a display case and the *intention* to collect more.  ;-)

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668