[pmwiki-users] wiki farm terminology

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 10:52:02 CST 2006

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, H. Fox wrote:

> On 3/19/06, Neil Herber <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:

> > http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiFarmTerminology

> Home wiki - A wiki in a farm that's located in the same directory as
> the PmWiki software and therefore shares the farm's cookbook/ and pub/
> directories.  If you start with a stand-alone installation and add a
> wiki, the original wiki becomes a home wiki.

I think the implications of having a wiki sharing it's "local" pub/ and
cookbook/ with the farm's pub/ and cookbook/ should be emphasized.
Sharing these might be good, but you might also be surprised.  Personally
I generally try to avoid it since it bit me once. For instance, changing a
skin in the home wiki would also mean that this skin is changed in the
other wikis.

There are also some cookbook recipes that use the wiki's pub/ to store
cached objects (e.g. MimeTeX). I'm not sure if there are any consequences
from cacheing stuff the farm's pub/.

Although I'm not a fan of adding more directories, what if a default
installation of PmWiki came with a separate 'farm public directory'? It
could be another directory at the root, e.g. 'farmpub/', or perhaps a
subdirectory to 'pub/', i.e. 'pub/farm/'.

Turning things around, you could theoretically place the local public
directory into a subdirectory of local/, i.e. place it as local/pub/.

regards
/Christian