[pmwiki-users] wiki farm terminology

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Mar 19 14:42:26 CST 2006

On 3/19/06, Neil Herber <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:
> At 2006-03-18  12:05 PM -0500, Neil Herber is rumored to have said:
> >Unless someone else has a burning desire to create such a page, I
> >will start it and post back to the list when done the first draft.
>
> The page is now ready for flaming. ;-)
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiFarmTerminology

I took a torch to it.  :-)  Here are some definitions:

Wiki - A wiki is a site with a URL and it's own wiki.d/ directory.
Each wiki in a farm is individually configurable using a
local/config.php file.

WikiFarm - Two or more wikis that share an installed copy of PmWiki.
Analgous to the computing phrase "server farm".

Farm-wide - Something available to or affecting all wikis in the farm.
 Typically this means modifying the farmconfig.php file or the
contents of the farm's cookbook/ or pub/ directories.

Local - Something available to or affecting a specific wiki.
Typically this means modifying the wiki's local/config.php file or the
contents of the wiki's cookbook/ or pub/ directories.

Home wiki - A wiki in a farm that's located in the same directory as
the PmWiki software and therefore shares the farm's cookbook/ and pub/
directories.  If you start with a stand-alone installation and add a
wiki, the original wiki becomes a home wiki.

Hagan