[pmwiki-users] site group question (was: Re: annoying behavior of AllRecentChanges)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 17 10:36:43 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 11:28:04AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2006-03-17  08:38 AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >I've never tried this, but one could conceivably reformat the line
> >to get successive edits of a page by a single author into a single
> >record:
> >
> >    $RecentChangesFmt['Site.AllRecentChangesPerAuthor'] =
> >      '* [[{$FullName}]] $[by] $AuthorLink  . . . $CurrentTime:
> >[=$ChangeSummary=]';
>
> Patrick
>
> The code above does exactly what I want, but I do have an academic
> question. It looks to me like the Site group is hard coded. Should it
> not be a variable that contains the name of the site group? It is not
> a problem since my site group is "Site", but I was curious. Perhaps I
> am thinking of a variable that hold the name of the "Main" group.

Since the above is a local customization (and is likely to always
be a local customization), it's perfectly okay for the wiki
administrator to explicitly say "Site" instead of "{$SiteGroup}"
here.  Sometimes it's nice to know exactly where things are going
(and presumably the wiki administrator knows what his/her site
group is).  In this particular case, I chose "Site" just to make
it clear what was happening.

However, if someone were to put the above into a recipe, then
the recipe should probably use "$SiteGroup" instead of "Site",
so that the recipe does the expected thing for people who
have a different site group.  So, since what I wrote above is
really a recipe of sorts, I guess I should've used $SiteGroup
instead of Site.

I'll try to do better next time.  :-)