[pmwiki-users] Concept, Task and Reference

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 17 07:48:32 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 01:25:21AM -0700, Bellave Jayaram wrote:
>    [...]  Although I don't yet have a gentle introduction to
>    DITA for PmWiki authors, I will try to explain things as I go along.
>    [...]
>    Programmers are used to this sort of chunking but it is not always
>    intuitive to non-programmers. Anyway, the idea is `define once, use
>    multiple times'.
>
>    I won't get into specialization just yet but there are several advantages
>    to this type of organization. By adding audience markup and by creating
>    trails (see my page Profiles.BJayaram for what I am thinking), we can
>    create useful "lessons" for various tasks for readers, authors and admins.
>
>    I welcome everyone's feedback on this.

I think it's useful, but given that DITA apparently needs a
"gentle introduction" and that it's "not always intuitive to
non-programmers", I don't think it would be an appropriate model
for the PmWiki documentation.  The PmWiki documentation *must* be
accessible and understandable (in an authoring sense) by the average
author.

However, I don't want to kill the effort, because I am interested
to see how it would end up.  Instead of doing things in the PmWiki
group, how about creating a "PmWiki-DITA" group on pmwiki.org and
organizing things there?  I can set up pmwiki.org's default
searches to avoid the PmWiki-DITA group (so that we don't end up
sending searchers to duplicates of the documentation).