[pmwiki-users] Troubleshooting versus FAQ versus Error Messages versus ...?

Patrick Ogay lists at basel-inside.ch
Sun Mar 12 06:27:25 CST 2006

 >I'm not a big fan of Q&A style anyways. I already know the question, I'm
 >looking for the answer.

When I'm searching for a solution  I'm usually search for a FAQ because
a good FAQ
comes from the real practice and treats the common "problems" from the
view of a newbie. (where the newbie can be an end user, or an
experienced programmer).
If you start with the dokumentation index, you see all the nice
features, but in general, it need's a point to start with the software,
and that's something like the FAQ or a short overview.

IMHO a FAQ should be separated in topic like general (what is GPL, or
what does't it cost..)
and questions concerning the software, beginning with configuration
questions and end user questions..

Of course there should also be a programmer's part. Pmwiki is really
documented very well and many advanced topics are covered in the
cookbook. I don't know, whether the utility core function of pmwiki are
documented now.
I think it's a general problem of open source software, that the code is
the documentation itself. So I think it would be useful to use a doc
tool like phpdoc, to generate an automatic documentation of the core
functions.

regards
Patrick Ogay