[pmwiki-users] More on AuthUser

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 3 11:11:04 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 05:18:35PM +0100, Mikael Nilsson wrote:
> fre 2006-03-03 klockan 10:12 -0600 skrev Patrick R. Michaud:
> > I totally agree that "id:" is a bit incoherent, but
> > it was my best guess for things at the time when I implemented it,
> > and I haven't come up with anything that is better enough to
> > warrant changing this.
>
> My gut reaction would be to remove id: completely, leaving the options:
>
> user
>
> @group
>
> pass:
>
> i.e. moving the prefix to the password option. But I know, it's maybe
> not what everyone wants anyway...

I did think of this option, but doing this would totally break
existing sites and passwords.

Plus, for a variety of reasons PmWiki's default is a password-based
authorization system, not an identity-based authorization system.
A couple of my installations (one with 1000+ authors) would totally
cry out in disgust if I were to switch them to having to type
"pass:" in front of all of their passwords, or to have to use
groups and usernames to control access to pages.