[pmwiki-users] View Markup

pmwiki at ben-amotz.com pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Fri Mar 3 08:57:29 CST 2006

It would be nice to have the option to view wiki markup without editing
it, just as you can view html source in most browsers.

Users often edit pages simply to see the underlying markup, to learn how
to achieve a result or simply as a quick reminder of markup useage.

If we don't have rights to edit a page, we can't see the markup, and if
we do have rights we'd rather not have to actually invoke them.  At the
least, we inadvertantly cause additional edit history to be created and,
at the most, we can cause a simultaneous edit loss.

On other threads the possibility of being presented with an edit view
only to be denied the right to post a save was raised as a side effect.

Why not build that possibility into a feature?  Perhaps it could simply
be another skin view, like the print view, which displays the raw
markup without an edit action.

Pico