[pmwiki-users] Listing uploads and overwriting files when uploading

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 14:57:41 CDT 2006

On 7/31/06, Viktors Zilinskis <royce at e-no.lv> wrote:
> Thank you for replies and hello again!
>
> This time I have two questions regarding uploads:
> 1. As I understand (:attachlist:) lists all the uploads in the current
> WikiGroup, not the current page. Is it possible to make PmWiki list
> files uploaded from the current page, not WikiGroup? One solution, of
> course, is to create a lot of different groups instead of creating a lot
> of pages in the same group. (I'm making a site for our course at
> university and initially planned to create a group "Subjects" with pages
> "Algebra", "Geometry"... etc. But as I'd like uploads to be listed for
> each subject separately, obviously I'll have to create groups "Algebra",
> "Geometry"... etc instead of pages under "Subjects" group.
> 2. I just checked that in case I add an upload with the same name as an
> existing one, PmWiki won't warn me about that and will overwrite
> existing upload silently. This might become confusing considering that
> most people will not check whether their upload name is different from
> those existing. Is there any way to prevent this happening?

Hi:  Taking your questions in reverse order -

_Over-writes_
See the main documentation page at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/UploadsAdmin - about midway down the
page is a paragraph that says
"By default, authorized users are able to overwrite files that have
already been uploaded, without the possibility of restoring the
previous version of the file. If you want to disallow users from being
able to overwrite files that have already been uploaded, add the
following line to config.php:
$EnableUploadOverwrite = 0;

"Alternatively, an administrator can keep older versions of uploads. "

That final sentence includes a link to a section further down the page
called " Versioning Uploaded Files", at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/UploadsAdmin#upload_versions, which
gives the setting for retaining all versions of an upload.

_Per-page uploads_
JUST below the material linked-to at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/UploadsAdmin#upload_versions, there
is a section entitled "Restricting uploaded files for groups and
pages".  This material includes a link to the page
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/UploadGroups - where you can find
instructions for configuring the wiki to organize uploads by PAGE.

Happy wiki-ing!

Tegan