[pmwiki-users] Automatic Group for Authenticated Users in AuthUser . . .

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Jan 28 12:04:26 CST 2006

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 11:27:42AM -0600, Ben Wilson wrote:
> Is it possible to have AuthUser automatically assign authenticated
> users to a default group?

All authenticated users are automatically in the 'id:*' "group",
you could probably use that.

If we want to come up with a standard role meaning "any authenticated
person", we could do that.  Suggestions...?  Here are the ones I
can come up with:

    @authid, @auth, @id, @anyone, @everyone, @all

I've also been thinking that the special "nopass" password ought
to become a group/role, such as "@nopass".  This would allow it
to easily appear in cleartext when being viewed in authorization lists
and on the ?action=attr page.

Lastly, should any of these be prefixed with an underscore, to
indicate they're predefined by PmWiki...?

> For example, assume a site is
> world-readable, but requires authentication to edit a page. Is there a
> way to automatically assign users to the @editors group so I won't
> have to keep adding them to the Site.AuthUser page (since I'm moving
> toward .htpasswd for authentication).

For now, use "id:*" instead of "@editors" if you want to mean
"any authenticated user".

> In the alternative, where are we with .htgroup?

I spent a short period of time integrating .htgroup into AuthUser,
and I still plan to do it, but unfortunately it wasn't as straightforward
as I had hoped.  I basically have to either rewrite it as a special
case in the code, make the general case a bit more complex, or
rework (yet again!) how AuthUser is storing its internal data
structures.  So, I put it on hold for a short bit so I could think
about it some more and resolve some of the other issues that needed
resolving.

At the moment I'm leaning towards making the general case more
complex.

But I think the real answer to your original question is to either
use "id:*" or for us to define a special group that means
"any authenticated user".