[pmwiki-users] AuthUser or UserAuth?

Dan Weber webmaster at drwhosting.net
Thu Jan 26 11:04:00 CST 2006

Allister,

I made a few updated to the UserAuth script over the past few weeks. I think it would fit very nicely with your requirements, which are pretty much the same that I have. I started using UserAuth (combined with CMSLike) because there was nothing comparable when I installed my wiki. In the meantime AuthUser has gained many of the functions I need and pretty much only lacks a nice admin interface. If I have time over the next couple of weeks I would like to see if I can come up with such an interface.

Dan

"Allister Jenks" <arj at zkarj.co.nz> wrote in message news:b96f73020601242341s69e9b849xd5b4b346e6b9f793 at mail.gmail.com...
  I've read up on both solutions.  One seems easier to implement (AuthUser), the other to administer (UserAuth), but I can't get my head around UserAuth's mechanics enough to understand which will be better in my situation.  Could some of you please weigh in on which way you think I should go please...

  1) This is a brand new install of PmWiki - I haven't even installed the files, so any version is ok.

  2) All editing will be done by admin only.

  3) A portion of the site (Main and one or more other Groups) will be open to anyone to see.

  4) Other Groups on the site will be accessible (readable) only to those who have been issued an id and password.

  5) Users are issued an id and password when they pay for it - hence not just using standard PmWiki security.

  6) To clarify - paying for the id and password entitles the user to access to a Group on the site.  It may be that different amounts give access to different Groups or multiple Groups.  Hence it will be necessary to restrict Groups to groups of users.

  I like the idea of the admin interfaces and users being able to change their own password offered by UserAuth, but am not sure if it fits the bill per above.  As a techie, I can cope with editing of password files, but it would be nice if my wife (who will be coming up with the content) could set up new users via the browser.

  Users will have to be set up by admin, as there will be no payment gateway integration.

  Any thoughts, suggestions appreciated.

  --
  Allister