[pmwiki-users] 'title' attribute of an HTML link

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jan 11 13:13:20 CST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 07:59:26PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> Ok, now I'm lost...
>
> Was the idea of using something like this discarded earlier:
>
> 	[[some page title="Title of the link"]]

As far as I know, that's not been proposed--or at least I don't
recall seeing it.  It's not a bad idea, however.

Since I started developing 2.0 (in summer 2004!), the syntax for
title attributes that I've been aiming for is something like

      [[some page "Title of the link"]]

which matches the alt/title syntax used on images

      Attach:image.png"Image title"

> Not sure I got the part about not allowing titles for plain links... why
> couldn't
> 	[[SomePage title="Title of link"]]
> work. For the examples above we'd get:
>
> 	[[some page title=+]]
>
> 	[[+ -> some page title=+]]
>
> I'm still confused about the '+' though..

Currently PmWiki defines [[some page|+]] as being a link to SomePage
but displaying SomePage's title as the link text.  So, the '+' is
essentially a shortcut marker meaning "referenced page's title".

So, if we allow [[some page "link title"]] to be a link
with a title= attribute, then it makes sense that [[some page "+"]]
would link to SomePage and use SoemPage's title as the text of
the title= attribute.

> > It's valid HTML, I was just concerned that a browser might take this
> > as intending the display of an empty tooltip.
>
> Oh, that's a good point. Do you know of a page where we could simply go to
> with our browsers and check?

Oh, I have a subscription to browsercam that I could probably
use to test it.  I just was hoping someone already had a definitive
answer for it.