[pmwiki-users] Archiving old/obsolete pages

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Wed Aug 30 16:03:41 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud <at> pobox.com> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 10:08:21PM +0200, christian.ridderstrom <at> gmail.com
wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >
> > Btw, are we using the word "archive" here in the same sense as used by
> > gmail?  (I think that would be good... why delete when we can archive.
>
> I mean "archive" in the sense of "don't show archived pages in searches,
> pagelists, and backlinks unless we provide an option that explicitly
> asks for them."
>
> Whereas "delete" means "don't show this page any more, even if we
> ask for it."
>
> Hmm, here's a radical thought... we could simply give archived
> pages and groups a read password of "archive", which means that the
> page doesn't show up in pagelists until the archive password is
> entered.  Nah, probably too confusing...

If searches and pagelists are what is driving this, then we can at least start
by making the searches on PmWiki.org a bit more selective by having default
parameters specified on the searchresults directive on the Site.Search page.

For example, we could start right away by focusing on existing groups and either
excluding certain groups (group= -Cookbook-VI,-Test ...) or by specifying the
certain groups (group=PmWiki, Cookbook, PITS ...)  See PmWiki/Search to test
searches limited to those three groups.

We could also use wikitrails to define the scope of searches, for example, using
the trails on Cookbook.Cookbook and on PmWiki.DocumentationIndex will weed out
the pages that never warranted inclusion.  (I used both of those, at first, on
PmWiki/Search but eventually dropped one, and then the other, in favor of
simpler group specifications.  On PmWiki I found I was missing out on good new
pages, as well as old ones that had yet to be fully replaced.  For Cookbooks, I
was missing the skins, which, of course, had their own trail.

This is not to say that some cleaning up isn't in order, but we don't really
have to literally remove, or rename, groups and pages in order to get them out
of our way when we are searching.

Pico