[pmwiki-users] Archiving old/obsolete pages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Aug 30 13:32:58 CDT 2006

Recalling another item previously discussed on this list...
what shall we do to "archive" old pages on pmwiki.org,
such as the old Cookbook-V1 pages?

The topic first came up in May, the thread starts with my suggestion
of an "attic" or "archive"  in the middle of a message at
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/27418/focus=27661 .

One possibility is to create a special "Archive" group and
move obsolete pages there -- this group would be invisible to
normal searches while retaining the page contents and history.

Another possibility is to tag existing pages with an "obsolete"
marker of some sort, so that they're excluded from searches
by default.

Hagan Fox suggested that we introduce ?action=archive, which
renames a page from Cookbook.AuthUser to Archive.Cookbook-AuthUser .

Several have asked -- if we rename a page, what happens to all of the
links to that page?  This might be resolvable to some degree
by a custom setting of $PagePathFmt:

   $PagePathFmt = array('{$Group}.$1', '$1.$1', '$1.{$DefaultName}',
                        'Archive.{$Group}-$1');

which would end up looking for targets in the Archive group
if the corresponding page isn't found in the current group or
as a group start page.  (This wouldn't resolve the links of any
pages *in* the archive, however.)

Comments or suggestions?