[pmwiki-users] Google Analytics

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Aug 28 09:16:29 CDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 12:22:54PM +0200, Jean DEMARTINI wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud a écrit :
>
> The recipe causes the Google Analytics script to be included in the
> header of the page as Google Analytics seems to require that this script
> has to be included at the end of the content just before the </body>
> ending tag.

Actually, I don't think this is the case.  Although Google's initial
statement says to add the <script> just before the </body> tag,
another page [1] says

   Important: if your pages include a call to urchinTracker(),
      utmLinker(), utmSetTrans(), or utmLinkPost(), the tracking
      code must be placed in your page's code above any of these calls.
      In these cases the tracking code can be placed anywhere between
      the opening <body> tag and the JavaScript call.

So, obviously the tracking code can go somewhere other than the very
end.  :-)  It's still an open question as to whether it can go in
the <head> section of the document, but I have it running that
way on pmwiki.org and pmichaud.com and it appears to work fine.

> Presently, I have just open an GA account and included the GA script in
> my template. I have verified that the script is properly placed but no
> counting is reported. Too early ?

Yes -- it generally takes a few hours, and possibly as much as
a day, before any reports are shown even if the tracking code is
properly installed.  Google says [2]

    Google Analytics generally updates your reports every 24 hours.
    This means that it could take 24 hours for data to appear
    in your account after you have first installed the tracking code.

Thanks!

Pm

1. http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=26908
2. http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=26909