[pmwiki-users] Google Analytics

Marc Cooper gmane at auxbuss.com
Sat Aug 19 18:53:34 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud said...
> On Wed Aug 16 22:24:16 CDT Ben Wilson wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, Google's analytics is now available to all.
> >
> > www.google.com/analytics
>
> Although it's quite easy to use config.php to enable Google
> Analytics, I have enough sites where I'll want to use it that
> I'm thinking of adding support directly into the core to simplify
> it for administrators.  Anyone have any opinions for or against this?
>
> Essentially, an administrator wanting to have the site tracked by
> Google Analytics would simply place the following into config.php:
>
>     $GoogleUAcct = 'UA-123456-1';
>
> and the default configuration scripts would automatically add the
> appropriate Analytics output in the generated HTML.
>
> Votes in favor, against?

Wholly against in the core, but as a recipe, of course it's a good
thing.

Reasons?

- Extra work for Pm who will be obliged to support it.
- It is a commercial project and had no place within FOSS, imo. And I'm
the no zealot, but you'll just have to believe me on that.
- I have a personal dislike of 'stuff' that obliges you go off-site
while loading a page. (Why not let me store it and you come and pick it
up from time to time? Yes, I know why :-) )

However, assuming Google have offered you a tidy wedge of cash to
promote their services - and I see no other reason to do their work for
them - then go for it and let us vote for the extra goodies you can now
afford to build for us :-)

In any case, isn't everyone already blocking Google's metric's collation
in Firefox to improve their browsing "experience".

--
Best,
Marc

If god made us the way we are, how come he built us out of spare chimp
parts?