[pmwiki-users] Re: pmwiki-users Digest, Vol 3, Issue 1

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Thu Sep 1 18:38:30 CDT 2005

I wonder why everyone is trying to copy wikipedia instead of simply
using mediawiki.

Wikipedia is a special-purpose tool, with dedicated authors. There's
nothing free about those links, you have to add four more characters,
in markup fashion. Editbar button or not. For many authors I know,
that interrupts the flow of the text as they edit it.

I know it's a switch away to enable it if/when Pm decides to
implement it, but I'd like to understand what's so free about these
marked-up pieces of text, and why people here like them so much. :)
Is it a programmer's thing or something? I know I like them and my
Mom and my wife and my boss(es) don't.

At 07:10 PM 9/1/2005, H. Fox wrote:
> > Actually, if there is one default that I wish I could easily
> > change (and that in retrospect I wish I had changed sometime during
> > the 2.0.devel series), it would be to configure PmWiki so that
> > WikiWords are not enabled by default.
>
>I would be happy to see that happen.
>
>The Wikipedians did it a few years ago.
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:CamelCase_and_Wikipedia