[pmwiki-users] Re: pmwiki-users Digest, Vol 3, Issue 1

Chris Cox ccox at airmail.net
Thu Sep 1 18:36:02 CDT 2005

H. Fox wrote:
> On 9/1/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>>>We could do that, but there are a few reasons for the existing
>>>unprotected default.  One reason is history; existing wikis are
>>>using the existing setting, and it's not always nice to suddenly
>>>change the default on admins when they upgrade.
>><tangent>
>>
>>Actually, if there is one default that I wish I could easily
>>change (and that in retrospect I wish I had changed sometime during
>>the 2.0.devel series), it would be to configure PmWiki so that
>>WikiWords are not enabled by default.
>
> I would be happy to see that happen.
>
> The Wikipedians did it a few years ago.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:CamelCase_and_Wikipedia

I don't know.. certainly if you turn your Wiki into a Website, then
yes... but many do associate (historically) WikiWords with a Wiki.

It's not hard to turn off if you don't want a "true" (?) Wiki.

I use PmWiki as a CMS-like environment and so I usually turn off
WikiWords.  But I'd leave them turned on by default since it's
still called PmWiki.  I mean look at MoinMoin.. it pretty much depends
on WikiWords right (and others I'm sure)?

Just my opinion Pm.  You made it too easy to customize  this
thing!!

With that said, you can certainly make the default to be 'off'..
since turning it on is just as easy.