[pmwiki-users] line breaks bug

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 1 12:00:29 CDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 05:17:24PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Thursday, September 1, 2005, 4:16:44 PM, Patrick wrote:
> > I'm not even sure it's a bug.  Technically, if a site admin takes the
> > position that every newline in the markup should generate a newline
> > in the output, then generating the empty lines is in fact what is being
> > requested and the correct response.
>
> Any style definitions in GroupHeader will produce a new line.
> Can this be avoided? Can we perhaps explicitely strip a new line
> with a special markup, say (:nonewline:), which one could add to the
> GroupHeader to avoid these extra new line(s)?
>
> It may be technically correct, but it is undesirable and has an ugly
> effect, and seemingly unavoidable.

There's always the (:nolinebreaks:) markup from the Cookbook.

One can always put all of the style definitions on a single line --
that would eliminate many of the newlines and leave just one.

The entire set of style definitions can be put in a comment block:

   >>comment<<
   %define=style1 ...%
   %define=style2 ...%
   %define=style3 ...%
   >><<

They still get processed, but aren't displayed on output.

> GroupHeader and GroupFooter gets used for style definitions, and
> creating empty lines is not expected. I know they are just pages being
> inserted, but they also have a special status in their functionality.

Well, as soon as we start claiming that GroupHeader and GroupFooter
have special status, I think we can make similar claims for any page
that is included in multiple places (e.g., via (:include:)), so I
worry that it's a slippery-slope argument.