[pmwiki-users] Organization opinions requested

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Oct 20 17:30:16 CDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 03:00:11PM -0700, Michael Kizer wrote:
>    Thanks for the tip... that recipe is much easier to work with. I converted
>    my expanding sidebar menu with TrailMenu with no problems.

That's very good to hear -- I hadn't got much feedback on
that recipe yet.  :-)

>      If you want the trail markup to appear on every page in the group
>      except for the "Albums" (home) page (which presumably contains the
>      trail), put the following in the GroupFooter.
>
>         (:if ! name Albums:)  <<| [[Albums]] |>> (:if:)
>
>    OK, that makes sense... I was able to create a wiki trail for "albums" and
>    apply your conditional markup tips to do what I wanted as far as "walking"
>    from album to album is concerned (I even hid the bulleted list on the
>    Albums.Albums page used to make the trail...neat).
>
>    I put the above code in the group footer, but then I didn't want it to
>    appear on each individual song page, so I am having to change it to
>    something like this:

If the number of pages where you want it included is less than the
number of pages where you don't, it's probably easier to just
explicitly write the trail markup at the end of each page where you
want it to appear (and leave it off of the others, and out of the
GroupFooter page).

>    (:if name Album1:)
>    \\\
>    <<| [[Albums]] |>> (:if:)
>    (:if name Album2:)
>    \\\
>    <<| [[Albums]] |>> (:if:)
>    ...etc...
>
>    This should work, but is there a better way to code that if statement in
>    the group footer? I didn't see any examples for an "OR" statement (i.e.,
>    if name Album1 or Album2 or Album3...etc.).

There's not really a good way to do "OR"s for long lists of things
to be OR'd, but note that every (:if ...:) automatically closes the
one before it, so you could write:

    \\\
    (:if name Album1:) <<| [[Albums]] |>>
    (:if name Album2:) <<| [[Albums]] |>>
    (:if name Album5:) <<| [[Albums]] |>>
    (:if name Album7:) <<| [[Albums]] |>>
    (:if:)

which may be a bit easier to read.

Or, if you want the trail markup to appear on a lot of pages
except just a few, you might be able to use (:nogroupfooter:) on
those pages where you don't want the trail markup to appear.