[pmwiki-users] {$UrlPage}

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 20 13:30:56 CDT 2005

On 10/19/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 09:58:09PM -0400, Waylan Limberg wrote:
> > Absolutely! Say a page is deleted. Someone follows a bookmark to that
> > now nonexistent page. The wiki just offers to create the page. It
> > should say the page was deleted (410) or moved to a new location (301)
> > or some other similar message.
>
> Unfortunately there's not a convenient way at the moment for PmWiki
> to find out that a page is "deleted", it only knows if the page
> exists or doesn't exist.  PmWiki would need to keep a list of
> previously existing pages somewhere.  (I suppose we could scan
> Site.AllRecentChanges or something like that, however.)
>
> Yes, we could possibly also scan wiki.d/ looking for the pagename with
> a ",del-" suffix, but I'm not a big fan of scanning the directory
> for this.

Having it be automatic seems bit much.

Maybe it would be sufficient to have a (:deleted:) directive, so an
author can signal to a bookmark-follower (or search engine bot) that
the page is gone for good.

PmWiki already has a way of dealing with moved pages (redirecting to
the new location), right?  Could / should the 301 status code be
worked into that?

Hagan