[pmwiki-users] Moving content between wikis and keeping track of changes

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Oct 13 12:16:57 CDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 06:07:03PM +0100, Mr Wappy wrote:
> I have several different Wiki's and want to take some
> of the content from one Wiki to another.
>
> My theory was to copy the pages from the Wiki.d
> directory e.g. copy file "Group.topic" to the new Wiki
> which is located seperately, and place the pages it
> the appropriare Wiki.d directory.
>
> In doing this I did not take any count files or change
> files [this may be a factor in the problem I will come
> to]
>
> With the pages in the new Wiki I can access them OK,
> however any changes are neither captured in
> RecentChanges or in AllRecentChanges.
>
> Since I am using these change files for an RSS feed
> this has raised a problem.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Is the approach I have adopted basically right?

Yes.

> 2. Is there a better alternative for copying or
> merging content?

"Merging content" among several independent wikis
is a bit of a tricky problem -- it requires a fair amount
of synchronization help.  At any rate, while we can
easily copy pages from one place to another, merging
them is still a bit tricky.

> 3. Is there any information that describes the
> mechanism for creating/updating the change files?

The change files (RecentChanges, AllRecentChanges)
are just wiki pages like any other -- the only thing
that is special about them is that they are updated
whenever a page is edited and saved.  Unfortunately
in your case, copying the pages isn't the same
as "edit and save".

One possibility might be for us to develop a special
action that can rebuild RecentChanges pages from the
current set of pages in wiki.d.  (Note that regenerating
the RecentChanges pages takes a bit of time and can require
scanning the whole wiki.d/ directory, which is one reason
we maintain them incrementally only when a page is being saved.)