[pmwiki-users] Upgrade Instructions for Mac Users

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Mar 30 22:47:29 CST 2005

The topic drifted so far I changed the thread:

Ahhh.... light goes on... this explains everything

Two different standards (smile-- viz-a-viz the other thread on that
subject)

Complete subfolder replacement is not bizarre to Mac users (smile)--
definitely, in the finder, if you drag a folder with the same name on
top of another one by the same name, you will be prompted if you want
to replace the original folder --  *all* of whose files and subfolders
will be deleted, even if newer versions of files  or sub-folders with
the same name present are *not* present in the new folder.

To a mac user this is not bizarre. If fact it would be bizarre (to mac
users) if it were the other way. A maintenance nightmare, kajillion
little unwanted orphans from older versions lurking in corners,
unknown, unseen, some alive and well doing nasty gremlin like things of
which we only see symptoms but never the cause...

We expect, if we go to a closet and replace

RedToolBoxB # which contains a hammer and screwdriver

with

RedToolBoxB # which is a new version of the above but with only a hammer

that we will end up with

RedToolBoxB # in the closet with only a hammer.

not different than if I say (in xTalk)

put "1,1" into tSmallArray
put "2" into tSmallArray

tSmallArray now equals "2" [not "2,1"]

Same logic.... OK.. all is clear now.

Two different standards. What is interesting (re: the philosophical
discussion on standards) is that after 20 years experience in the Mac
world here (and as long or long for you in your platform) both of us
are still unknowing about the other standard...

But help is at hand...  "The Wiki Way"

On Mar 29, 2005, at 3:51 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Could you please verify that doing a recursive copy on a mac actually
> erases (replaces) subfolders with exactly what the source tree has in
> it, as opposed to simply overwriting duplicate files?

Absolutely, though were I do this now on OS X from the terminal, we
would probably get expected unix behavior at the level.. But no Mac
user will ever use the terminal for such a simple operation.
Application upgrades usually go like this: click once to download,
system will auto decompress, auto mount a disk image.. you then just
drag and drop. done.

skts