[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: <div> markup suggestions...?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 1 15:36:00 CST 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 09:03:19PM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:

> Why do we have to call it 'div'? That's not going to be very
> understandable for most users...

People who know HTML are used to thinking in terms of <div>'s, so
I was going with that.  It reduces the questions of "how can I
generate a <div> in the output?"

I don't mind using a term other than 'div', but none of 'style',
'blockstyle', nor 'env' work for me.  Perhaps (:section:)?
However, 'section' carries some interpretations I'd rather not have.

> would it make more sense to write
> something like:
> 	(:style Patrick:)
> 	Bla ...
>
> 	Bla...
> 	(:styleend:)

I'm guessing you meant (:style class='Patrick':).  Or are we
going to restrict the attributes in the resulting <div> to be
only class= and id=?  That wouldn't bother me too much.

   (:section Pm #anchor:)
   Everything here is enclosed in a <div class='Pm' id='#anchor'>
   block.
   (:sectionend:)

But I still wish for something shorter than (:section:).  Maybe
just (:s Pm:)

By analogy to WikiStyles, we could look at using [%name%]
as a shortcut for divs.  The %...% recall WikiStyles, and
the [...] look like a block.

   [%Pm%]
   This is a Pm block.
   [%%]