[pmwiki-users] Re: standalone - offline

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Mon Jul 25 06:41:41 CDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Robert Blaha wrote:

> I just saw the standalone-recipe in the cookbook-directory what made me
> think about a standalone-version of a wikisite for reading-purposes
> only. For CD-Rom for example without needing internet-access.
>
> I use pmwiki for a kind of learning-platform. But not all students have
> internet-access. That´s what would make it necessary to "export" the
> whole site as html-documents.

> It doesn´t sound very difficult to me to walk through the
> wiki.d-directory, parse the pages and write the output into a different
> folder with the same name and the extension html not to forget to
> convert the links within the pages. sounds easily, but it´s to complex
> for me to do this workaround, and there doesn´t seem to exist such a
> feature.

Have a look at 'wget', it's usually available in *nix distributions and
should be capable of what you want.

	http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/wget.html

It turns out it's even available for windows

	http://www.interlog.com/~tcharron/wgetwin.html

However, you will have to play with wget's options in order to make it
behave exactly as you want it (some stuff should be ignored, e.g. links
containing ?action=edit).

Actually, you could start playing with this

   wget -r -P doc -E -nH -k -p -R '*\?*' http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php

but I'm not sure the CSS-files and images will be downloaded properly.

cheers
/Christian

PS. If your site is big, it'll take a while to download the whole thing so
I recommend you try it on a simple test installation first.