[pmwiki-users] PmWiki password security

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jan 30 17:00:23 CST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 11:57:54AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> Maybe I am the only person who gets confused by the many layers of PmWiki
> security, or maybe I am the only one who can't find the documentation pages
> that answer my questions ...

Just to let you know -- you're not alone, a lot of people get confused
by the many layers of PmWiki security settings.  It's one of those
nasty trade-offs: flexibility often comes at the expense of clarity/
simplicity.  And it often seems that security is just inherently
complex.

However, some experiences I had this past week on a large PmWiki site
have convinced me that we need some features to make the security
less "opaque" to both admins and users, so I'm going to be working
on that.

And if anyone thinks that user-based authorization will be somehow
less complex than the existing model... :-)